Monday, February 13, 2012

Being Confident

I guess I like to say I'm confident.  But I'm not really.  I get nervous in front of almost everyone.  I am scared to stand up for myself.  I never think that I "deserve" things or even have "earned" things.  Mostly I'm just talking about work and social situations.  But those are two really important things.

I just won't put myself out there.  I never have, I hope I will be able to sometimes.  I'm just scared to really say what I think.  I don't want to offend people.  So I have to overthink whatever I want to say.  And by the time I have prepared a sentence of some sort, the conversation is over and I haven't participated.  The most I really do in conversations is laugh or say "hmmm" or "cool" or "that sucks" or "yeahhh okay".  Absolutely nothing of value.

Two person conversations are not much better!  I completely miss "implied" things in conversations, mostly jokes.  It is always so awkward when the other person is laughing and I'm wondering what's going on.  Then I think about what was said and get it, but then it makes me look slow!

I plan conversations in my head before I have them.  If I have to talk to someone (at work, at a party, at the store, anywhere), I have to think out all possible scenarios before I can say anything.  And if they surprise me by saying something completely different - uh oh!!  I have had way too many imaginary conversations.

And with the whole work thing ... I had the opportunity to apply for an amazing position.  Did I do it?  No, I was too scared to.  It would have been perfect for me, exactly what I wanted!!  But I just couldn't do it!  Now I'm feeling terrible because another opportunity like that may not come around for a few years.  Maybe more.

I guess this is more of a rant thing.  I really need to get this under control, but I'm scared to start!

I should probably take things step by step.  And I have to actually try.  Instead of just hiding and pretending this issue doesn't exist.

2 comments:

  1. You just made your first step. You said exactly what you're thinking. Now just keep doing that. It'll get easier. :)

    ReplyDelete