Thursday, February 10, 2011

Graduating From College

Right now, I'm at the stage where I'm only three months away from graduating from college. It is a very intimidating experience. Right now, I'm just thinking "what am I going to do?" I'm realizing the expenses of graduating. Right now, I'll be honest, my parents are paying for my rent. It is really nice to save that $400/month. Right now, I really only have to pay for my groceries, bus pass, tuition, books, Internet, and cell phone. Those are the main things. It really isn't that expensive when you take rent out of it. But I have a few part time jobs (yes, multiple ones!) and I'm making it through.

I am calculating how much I expect to make at a future job and the amount is just barely greater than my expenses. I cannot believe the expenses that I'm going to have! I know my rent will increase (because I plan to live in an actual apartment instead of renting a house with roommates). But besides that, how much m ore expensive will it really be?

I was actually thinking about getting a pet. A pet cat, to be more precise. I'm realizing, with the amount that I am making, that I will likely not be able to afford a cat unfortunately. Perhaps I'll be able to work up to it. I may stick with a pet fish (I already kind of have one) because they are nice to have. There are lots of other pets available though ... maybe a hamster? I used to have a hamster. That could be nice. They are not as expensive as cats!

It should be nice not to have to save up for tuition and books though. That can get fairly costly (it was over $3,000 per year for the past two years). Then books are about $100 per class ... on term, I had nine classes. The books added up!

There is just so much to deal with once I graduate. Unfortunately, my parents aren't being supportive. They don't really want me to follow my dreams. I think they just want me to stick with something basic and boring. They also expect me to earn $20/hour immediately after graduating which I really don't think will happen (okay, I guarantee it!). Perhaps they just don't understand the market out there right now. They haven't done the research on jobs ... I'm the person who has!

Anyway, I am thinking a lot about my future. I just get so nervous about it! But in three months, I will officially be a college graduate. Scary, especially since I'm only 20. Although I am looking forward to it. I might as well start working and gaining experience at this age anyway. And who knows what will happen!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats in advance for finally graduating=)..I feel happy for you,it's really intimidating...wow,you're just the same age with me,but you're already going to a higher level in life,I hope you'll make it.^_^

    ReplyDelete