Monday, May 30, 2011

Subways

I'm talking about the mode of transportation, the subway.

A couple weeks ago, I moved to an area where there is a subway.  There are some amazing things about the subway.  For one, it is incredibly fast!  No stopping every two seconds like on a bus!  I love that part of it!  It is really easy to use too, once you get a hang of it.

I had my first 'real' subway experience last weekend.  It was ... well ... interesting!

There were these two people who looked like a couple waiting for the subway.  Cool.  They got on the subway at the same time.  Then they sit in two completely different spots!  There were quite a few seats together that were available but they sat as far apart as possible!  So I figured, okay, they must have just gotten on at the same time.  But then they get off at the same time and walk next to each other all the way out!

The next group of three people was probably high school age - two guys and a girl.  One guy looked like a nerd.  The other guy looked like a stoner.  And the girl looked like a party animal tough girl.  (I know, I shouldn't judge by looks, but that was my first impression!).  So they get on the bus and sit together.  And the three of them are talking as loud as they possibly can while eating pop tarts (which happens to be the only thing they have with them).

I heard a funny story from a friend's friend about the subway.  I guess he was on the subway when there was a guy, across from him, holding a bag.  Okay, people hold bags, not a big deal.  Then the bag started meowing!!!!  Oh wow!!!  I'm definitely against animal cruelty but you've really got to wonder what was going on!

The last interaction I saw was this young woman (mid 20s I would say) stand up to get off the subway.  The older guy (late 40s I'd say) stood up as well.  The lady seemed surprised and was like 'oh are you getting off here too?' And he just smiled (relatively creepily) and said 'no, just wanted to say bye to you.'. So she was awkwardly like 'bye' and he gives her a kiss on the cheek!  I felt so sorry for her!  That guy just seemed really, really creepy!

All in all, the subway is great for transportation and amusement!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent people watching on the subway. Your post makes me miss subways. (Although I wouldn't have liked the creepy guy incident had it happened to me!) LA doesn't have a good transportation system, hence all the traffic. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. There tends to always be creepy guys on the transit! A couple months ago, in the city I used to live in, we had buses and there were *always* creepy people!
    I love Toronto transit although, to be honest, I don't take it that much because I can walk everywhere. But still - I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete