Monday, April 4, 2011

House Hunting

I've been "house hunting" for some time now.  If you don't know what I mean by house hunting, I'm just looking for a room in a house/apartment to stay in for the summer.  I've been trying to get a summer sublet so that it is less expensive for me.  House hunting is just so frustrating though!  I visit so many houses and none of them are what I want.

Of course, I have a lot of criteria such as
  • 400 - 550/month
  • utilities included
  • enough washrooms (one washroom for four people is just not enough)
  • close to a bus stop
  • has a full kitchen (stove, fridge, microwave, etc.)
  • unfurnished
  • nice location (I do not need to live in a sketchy part of town)
So I have found a decent place.  It comes furnished which really isn't that big of a deal.  One of the things I can do without.  The other criteria it doesn't meet is that it's more expensive.  It is 580/month which is more than my limits.  It does come all inclusive though (including Internet).  It is in a pretty decent place of town.  Not the best part, but certainly not the worst.  It doesn't have a living room either.  There are some good things though!  It has a balcony, which is pretty awesome.  It substitutes for a living room (almost) in the summer anyway.  It also has one room for the shower and another for the toilet which I think is pretty cool.  Oh, and it comes with a cat!  I get to look after the cat.  I got a rent reduction (from 630 to 580 per month) because I'm looking after a cat.  The awesome thing is that I was thinking about getting a cat anyway.  Now I get to look after a cat and not have to pay for food, littler, etc.  Bonus!!  And it's downtown which is pretty convenient.

It was the first place I visited.  When I first got there, the outside looked pretty sketchy.  But the inside is nice.  And the room is very large, especially for a place downtown.  The kitchen isn't too big but there are only three of us and it has counter space and whatnot so it should be fine.  And the balcony looked fun.

I am planning to sign this lease.  I was going to spend another weekend looking at houses but it's just gotten to be too much for me!  I mean, I'm at school full time and I work and going house hunting on weekends is not what I want to do.  I saw a number of other houses that were all a lot worse.  (Well, one was a bit nicer but he needed me to move in now instead of at the beginning of May, which didn't work out.)

I'm pretty happy with my choice.  I think it will be a really great place to stay over the summer.  Okay, now I'm just excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment