Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Failed My Work Placement

This past week and a half has been quite drama filled.  I started a work placement, which is necessary to graduate.  The point of the work placement: to get experience and expand on what I learned at college.  What did I do?  Sort through folders and carried heavy piles of folders and boxes.  Definitely not what I have learned at college.  Anyway, so I asked them about it.  Basically said, I was hoping to use my skills, is there something else I could do.  They kept saying I'd be doing data entry later.  But that never happened.  So I asked again.  They basically responded with "all employees do filing".  What I was doing was not really filing.  And there were only two of us doing it.  If I had done a little bit of that and then done something else, that's would have worked.  But no, it was straight moving folders.

This was my cleavage!
One morning I was called down to my supervisor's office (who hasn't even been there for the past couple days).  He gives me two options - 1. Find a new placement. 2. Go home and change.  If you look at the picture, that's how much "skin" I was showing.  I had full pants on, my shoes even had socks in them, and my shirt was definitely long enough to cover my butt and everything!  So my supervisor gives me a copy of the dress code and tells me that I have been dressing provocatively and revealing.  He tells me how distracting it is.  I'm thinking that this is not my problem.  I have worn that combination of tops in my other office positions.  I don't see how this is provocative at all!

I went to see my teacher, who wasn't at the school.  I found myself another work placement.  But it turns out that isn't allowed.  And then I met with my teacher today.  I guess she is upset with me for standing up for myself.  Apparently saying "manual labour" is rude.  Hmmm.  Then the chair doesn't want me to graduate this year or something.  And the whole faculty hates me.  Saying that I am representing our school poorly.  Just for standing up for myself!

It's been a mess.  Now I have to complete my work placement in May.  Ridiculous!

I'm pretty upset with the college.  And the teachers.  And the work placement.  It is rather annoying, and frustrating.  Especially since I have plans for May that involve work and moving.  Not volunteer work placement!  I do have a lead though, so hopefully that will work out for me.  Cross your fingers ... 

2 comments:

  1. That's bad...i think it's the problem with your work place,they didn't really tell you what you should be doing.And I don't understand why the supervisor thought your dress was revealing.So how is it for now?Do you find another work placement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't think my top was that revealing either! I did find another work placement but unfortunately I'm living with my parents (not something I like to do after three years of living on my own :P) but at least I will be able to graduate on time! And now I know that I will not ever work for them again :)

    ReplyDelete