Saturday, April 9, 2011

Concert Review: Ke$ha

So, the other night, I went to the Ke$ha concert at Kool Haus in Toronto (it is part of Guvernment, if that helps anyone out).  It was an all ages event which really wasn't the greatest.  I went with me boyfriend (he is 21 and I'm 20) so the 15 year old screaming girls didn't appeal to us.  Okay, maybe I should have guessed that before I got tickets.  Luckily for us, there was a 19+ area.  Neither of us drink but it was nice to have the option to go in there.  Plus, we got pretty decent spots in there.  And I was able to see, which was a bonus!

Ke$ha was fabulous though!  There are certain people that have that stage presence.  She is, no doubt, one of them.  She did some crazy dances and just got the crowd all excited!  And her outfits were unique, as I presumed!

I don't know all of Ke$ha's songs so I wasn't able to sing along to all of them.  There was one or two that I wasn't fond of.  But, for the most part, I enjoyed the ones I didn't know.  I hadn't heard her dinosaur song yet.  The dancers on stage had walkers and stuff, it was hilarious!  By the end of the song, I knew the lyrics.  Also she sang Grow A Pair.  She invited a guy in the audience up on stage and it was really funny!

There was one main negative.  Her opening act was some guy named Beards.  Now I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt but this guy was just terrible!  His style of music didn't fit the target audience.  He expected people to sing along with his songs but no one knew them.  He was old, and unattractive, which is not great for this audience either.  He had no charisma or stage presence.  And what was with his voice?  No one there was clapping, fist pumping, singing ... Anything!  I finally started clapping when he announced it was his last song.  I wanted him to be off and Ke$ha to be on!

Now, I'm sure this guy would have done fine at some other event.  But this was not his type of thing.  Throughout his opening segment, my boyfriend and I kept thinking of ideas of why he was chosen.  We have yet to come up with one.

All in all though, it was good!  Great Ke$ha performance.  Great venue.  Great 19+ area.  Not even too bad of a line up (although all the underagers smoking got quite annoying) - we were only outside for an hour.

I would probably give it 4 stars out of 5.  Negatives - definitely the opening act.  I would have given it five stars if it wasn't for this Beardo guy.  Positives - everything else.  Awesome songs, great stage presence, and great venue.  I would recommend that anyone going to her concerts arrive an hour late so you miss the opening act!  But Ke$ha herself was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment