Friday, April 29, 2011

Earning Less Money Than Your Partner

Do you earn more or less money than your partner?  Are you married, serious relationship, or starting to date?  My boyfriend and I are in a pretty serious relationship - we have been together for about a year.  I've just finished college so I don't have a full time job yet.  He is on co-op at college though so he's making quite a bit more than me right now.  During the school year, he was doing full time co-op and I was working two part time jobs making minimum wage.  So, really, he's always made more than me while we've been dating.

Sometimes it does make me feel a bit insecure.  I don't want to be with him just for his money (okay, I'm obviously not).  But I feel bad when he is the one often paying for dates and stuff.  I do try to still pay for dates on occasion, but he definitely does more often.  For me, I try to do little things that don't cost money that kind of make up for it.  But I still feel bad when he is paying for most things.

But he will be done co-op and back in school in September.  As long as things go well, I will be paying for more starting then.  We are both still students so our salaries will fluctuate quite a bit until we get settled.

I feel like even if we got married and everything and he earned more than me, I wouldn't feel too bad.  I would help more with cooking and cleaning if he had more income.  But if we were working the same amount of hours then I'd expect him to do some of that too!  It also might depend on the difference.  If he's making $5,000 more than me a year, that is different than making like $40,000 more than me a year.  But still ... hmmm!

I just read about this on a forum that I frequent, I thought it seemed interesting.  I don't feel too insecure about it now but I guess a lot of people do!  Tell me what you think about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment