Monday, June 6, 2011

Who Is Important To You?

Most people have friends, family, and/or acquaintances.  You care about some of them, of course.  Great.

Now think more deeply.  How many would you consider true friends?  Probably not quite as many.  If you have Facebook - how many of those are real friends?  If you're like me, I have almost 200 Facebook friends.  I've known them all at some point, yes.  But I've grown apart from most of them and wouldn't consider them real friends.

When I think about the number of real friends I can, it is kind of frightening.  The people who I talk to regularly and care about the most - probably only two people.  My boyfriend and my sister.  I talk to them at least every other day (well communicate - I don't live in the same city as either of them so there is plenty of emailing and texting going on).  But it is really only those two who I talk to a lot.

I have two high school friends who I keep in contact with quite a bit.  But sometimes we will stop talking for months at a time.  And they often break plans.  So even though they are friends, they aren't really 'best friends' if you think about it.  I met someone else about six months ago.  We started talking almost nonstop.  She was awesome!  But the, things happen, we drift apart.  And I haven't talked to her much in the past month.

I think it is really important to treasure who you have.  Even if there aren't many people who you consider very good friends.  Make sure they know it!  Make sure they know that they mean a lot to you!

Make sure that you know who is really important to you.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, it's very important to treasure your friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about this a bit. I have a ridiculous number of people on facebook and really I wonder why? I guess as you say, it's important to think of those who really have a meaningful role in our lives and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true :)
    I know what you mean about Facebook. I have about 200 Facebook friends and how many of them do I still consider friends? I do go through my list and "weed out" those who I'm not friends with anymore but still ... there are people that I just haven't talked to for a while ... I like to focus on those who I am still friends with and who I still care about :)

    ReplyDelete