Monday, November 7, 2011

Blogs I Like Vs. Blogs I Don't Like

Obviously, if I comment on your blog, I like it.  But there are certain characteristics to blogs that make me like them or not like them.

1. Short blog posts.

I like posts to be longer than a couple sentences.  But ones that take me (what feels like) forever to read ... I don't enjoy it.  I just skip past it.  Usually I'll give a blog a few posts before I decide if they are too long.  The occasional "long" blog is cool.  But not all of them!

2. Good content!
This is different for everyone, but the content has to be interesting.  Stories about ... say ... woodworking.  I don't have an interest in woodworking at all, so I'm probably not going to check it out.  But if it has to do with one of my interests (baking, cats, music, friends, etc.) then there is a good chance I will read it.

3. A reason to comment.
If there is a question at the end, or a reason to comment, or even just a thought provoking blog post ... then I am more inclined to comment at the end of the post.

4. No music.
Music playing in the background drives me crazy.  Because it's probably music I don't like.  Not that I won't give it a chance ... I probably would.  But I'd rather click a link than have it automatically play.  I almost always have music playing off of my computer.  It drives me crazy when some other song goes overtop of my music!  It's cool if I decide to click on a link ... then I can pause my music and listen to another song ... but it is not cool when something automatically plays.

5. Not going overboard on the design.
A slow loading page is very annoying.  Having a classic, simple design without too much "stuff" there is my favourite!

6. Someone who responds back.
If you comment on my blogs, I will certainly comment back on yours!

7. Including pictures.
I don't have many pictures on mine ... unfortunately.  But having a few small pictures throughout your blog is really nice.  It adds to it.  There is such thing as too many pictures.  But a couple small ones are nice.

8. One topic per post.
Having like five different stories in one post is overwhelming.  If you have five different topics ... just make five different posts!  Why not?  It makes it easier to read ... and then the reader can stick with which posts he or she want to read.  Reading a jumble of posts in one post can be confusing and not very fun.

4 comments:

  1. Good to know! ;0) I am guilty from time to time of doing some of the above! However, with the amount of words I put in mine, well that's gonna be the same as I write like I would talk. Mine is going to be mostly for my kids to one day look back on and remember all the fun we had and how much I love them. When I'm gone and buried it will be nice for them to read those words. ;0) But luckily you still comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obviously like yours since I comment on it!! Ahaha :) It's just like those blogs that are soooo cluttered with music playing on the main page, fifty gazillion lines of text (no paragraphs and stuff) ... drives me crazy! Ahah :p I still don't know what my blog is for though, really it's just for me. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, these guidelines could be a good "How to be a Succesful Blogger" article for ehow.

    Food for thought. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm I like that idea :)

    They are just my personal opinion - everyone likes different types of blogs. But I must say Suzanne that your blog is one of the best written and organized that I have seen! (Thus why I'm always visiting it! :P)

    ReplyDelete