Monday, August 23, 2010

If You're Not Happy, Get Out!

Is your career what you want to do and enjoy doing?
Does your significant other make you extrememly happy?
Do your friends encourage you to be the best you can be?

If the answer is "no" to any one of these questions, you need to get out.

No one is meant to be trapped in a career, relationship, circle of friends, etc. that is going no where. No one is meant to be unhappy, unfulfilled, or unsatisfied with their life.

Yet so many people are. Why? Because they are simply scared to get out. Scared of the unknown.

About a year ago, I was dating a guy and had a circle of friends who were not what I wanted and needed. The guy was great for a while but the supposed circle of friends came with him. I had to pretend to be friends with these people just to keep the boyfriend. I stayed with it for a while because I liked the guy and I was scared to be without him and the friends I had for a few years.

Then there was a chance to get out of it. I never realized how much I didn't enjoy them. I never realized that they did nothing for me. I never realized that they were the worst friends in the world. I never realized that I could be doing so much more. It was a scary experience. How do you get away from the guy you have been with for a few years and the friends you have been with for, well, forever? It's hard. It's especially hard if you have no where else to go. I'm out of that group now and I have never been happier. I didn't even know what else there was in the way of friends and just everything in general. My friends now are not the gossip type or the type that puts people down just to make themself feel better. My boyfriend does not want to just hang out playing video games all the time, he wants to go places, do things, and be with me. It's amazing the change.

It's the same with a career. If you are in a career or even heading in the direction of a career (via university or college) that is just not right for you, then make a switch while you can. Make a change while you're young. I went to university for a while for something that I just didn't enjoy and wasn't good at. I did a switch and I am loving what I'm doing now about a million times more. It was definitely worth it.

If the opportunity presents itself, go for it. If it doesn't, and you aren't happy, then get out. It may be scary but I guarantee that it'll be worth it in the end. You want to be happy. You want to be the best person you can be. Even if you don't know what you want to do or who you want to be with, at least give some more things a try. Get yourself out there so that you know what you do and do not enjoy. Make the most of your life!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to recognize the need and get out when you did! Like you said, so many people stay "stuck" in situations that make them miserable - sometimes it's fear, sometimes it's expectation, sometimes they just don't know that there is another option ... I wrote about it recently, too: http://floatlikeabuttahfly.blogspot.com/2011/01/its-ok-to-quit.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people are scared and they get stuck in the same repetitive situation. It isn't always good. The "safe" option isn't always the right one! :p

    ReplyDelete