Monday, August 16, 2010

Hotmail Is Not Facebook - No Chat!

I thought that this "chat" feature was left for Facebook only, but now Hotmail has to get into it now?  Well Hotmail has officially lost of of their loyal users.

Upgrades and improvements are fine, provided that they actually do improve things!  Adding a messenger does not improve Hotmail.  Is this messenger feature really that good?  What are the pros of this messenger?  Is it considered an improvement?  I certainly do not think so!

First off, it is practically impossible to get rid of the Hotmail Messenger.  It is not easy to figure out how to turn it off as I could not figure it out when I first logged on.  If I cannot figure it out, then it can't be very simple!

Second, it interferes with MSN Instant Messenger.  One of my first experiences with the new Hotmail was when I was checking my email on a regular web browser and talking to my best friend on MSN Instant Messenger.  In the middle of a conversation with my friend, I went to check my email and the conversation was on my web browser as well.  I certainly didn't want it there, so I clicked the "x" button.  I went back to open my MSN Instant Messenger window and, sure enough, it had disappeared as well.

Third, I enjoy checking my email briefly during lunch at work.  First day I had the new Hotmail, I just went onto my email to send a couple emails out.  I also got signed into the Hotmail Messenger as well.  I do not want to chat with my friends and family while I am at work.  I simply want to check my email and not be interrupted by messenger windows popping up!  Also, now people will know how often I check my email, for how long, etc.  That is a bit too much!  I have a tendency to leave up my Hotmail on while I am not on the computer.  I do not want people to talk to me then either.

I feel like it is completely unnecessary to add this Hotmail Messenger feature.  MSN Instant Messenger is it's own application.  It does not need to be combined with Hotmail.  Hotmail is for email.  I do not need instant messenging on both!

After ten years of loyally using Hotmail, I have officially switched over to Gmail.  I am still using MSN Instant Messenger but I'm not sure how long that will last.  Who knows what else MSN could come out with!

No comments:

Post a Comment