Monday, March 7, 2011

Is Education Necessary For Success?

Is it?  That's a question many people wonder.

I know so many people who go from high school to college or university just because they feel that's the "right thing to do".  Just because "that's how you get a job".  They go through college or university, not necessarily in something they enjoy, and then have no clue what they want to do when they graduate.  I have just seen that happen to a lot of people and I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about it.

There are some jobs where you don't need an education.  Some jobs that you may be good at.  But a lot of jobs still require education.

I think the right way to look at it, when you're in high school, is to see what job you want to do.  Then figure out the education path from there.  Do you want to be a doctor?  Well then, determine the education you need from there.  Doctors can't start work as a doctor without education.  Do you want to be an accountant?  Figure out what you need to learn and then go from there.  Do you really need six years of education or is two or three all you really need?  Do you need the theory behind it or is the practical part that you really need?

Sometimes people will go to school for years and years then find out they only needed school for a couple years.  Frustrating?  I'm sure it is.

Don't just go to school for the sake of going to school.  Figure out what you want to do first.  If you don't know right away, try doing some work and then perhaps taking some part time courses to find out what exactly you're interested in.  Diving into something when it isn't what you want?  I wouldn't recommend it.  Researching, getting experience, then doing some schooling?  Definitely what I'd recommend.

I definitely feel like I have wasted some of my life doing school that I just don't need.  I am a bit tempted to just do some more schooling but I don't think that's the right idea.  I'm not sure what I want to do.  Going to school for something that I am unsure of is not what I should spend my time doing.

Instead of being pressured by parents and teachers or just thinking you have to do one thing specifically, step back and take a look at everything.  What do you really need?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting topic..I've been thinking about this too.I mean,i see a lot of people who didn't further their studies but still become successful just by having a basic education..i agree with you that we need to know what we want before we get into any education program,for me i don't only study to get a job,but also as self satisfaction,as i love knowledge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - some people can make it without all that education. And some people need it! But some people are lost after high school and figure that going to college/university will just solve it all. Sometimes taking some time off is best so you can figure out what you really need. I love knowledge too, but differently. I feel like I don't learn much at school - I learn stuff from doing other projects, like at work, or personal things. School just isn't my thing. But I'm not knocking it - it is great for some people for sure!

    ReplyDelete