Monday, May 16, 2011

Losing Your Friends

Have you ever just kind of drifted apart from your friends?  I have been lately, in the past few months.  I mean, I have changed a bit, but they just haven't accepted me.  I feel like I've grown up a lot and they haven't.

In high school, there were four of us that hung out like all the time.  The guy in the group kind of ditched us after high school, but no big deal.  Then there were the three of us and we were still pretty close during our first year of university even though we didn't see each other much.  They were really supportive of me when I was having a tough time that year.

After that year, I switched to college.  Since then, my relationship with them has been really downhill.  I don't think they like that I went to college (since university is considered the "smarter" of the two).  But I'm still smart.  I mean, I'm the top of my class here at college.  But I think they didn't really like that I switched (even though I hated and was horrible at my program at university).

Then I broke up with my boyfriend of almost three years.  Then I slept with another guy.  They both like guys and everything but they have never really had serious relationships or anything before (and defintely never had sex).  They thought I was just using this guy to get over my ex.  Honestly he was just using me for sex at first too!  But it ended up going well and I've been dating this guy for over a year.  The point is, they just judge me for this.  Maybe sex is a big deal for them.  It's different for me.  Like it is important but I'm not just going to wait for years or something.  That's not me.

They also seemed upset when I started partying a bit more.  The thing is, I'm maintaining friends at college, I'm at the top of my class, I'm working three part time jobs, and I've got a great boyfriend.  Everything else is going well.  So what if I go out and party every other weekend?  What else should I do?  I could study but I can't do much better than I'm doing now anyway.  And even if I wasn't partying over the weekend, I certainly wouldn't be studying!

I get it, friends drift apart.  But I just don't get why the two of them are just judging me so much.  We were best friends for years.  We supported each other.  We had fun together.  All good!

I guess things change.  I have new friends.  They have new friends.  I keep some old friends of course.  I'm not sure when it's time to move on from them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment