Monday, January 16, 2012

Healthy Eating - Pizza Days

I remember having Pizza Day and Hot Dog Day once a month in elementary school.  My parents would always give me money so I could get a slice of pizza one day and a hot dog one day each month.

It has been a few years since I've been in elementary school.  I'm not even sure if they do this anymore.

But with everything saying how kids should be healthy these days, shouldn't that be eliminated?  How about rice day?  Maybe that doesn't sound appealing, but it could be done!  Or 'fruit and veggies day'.  Well, it sounds good to me.

Things like pizza day and hot dog day, they don't promote healthy eating.  With the education in health class, with the activity in gym class, pizza day is just counter productive!

I'm not sure how many schools have things like Pizza Day but I would definitely suggest that the idea be reconsidered.

4 comments:

  1. I remember pizza day. They were big bread-y squares with cheese and sauce slapped on them. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember loving pizza days! :P Well, I do still like pizza, but I treat it as a treat :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza can be a healthy snack, too with the right kind of ingredients! A pizza crust with no sugar on the dough, thin, oozing with tomato sauce, less cheese, and more veggie toppings is perfect for health-conscious individuals. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which is a great anti-oxidant that can help fight various diseases while cheese has calcium for the bones. That's the recipe for a guilt-free but equally delicious pizza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, pizza CAN be pretty healthy if you make it the right way. Unfortunately, fast food pizza is far from healthy. And I can't see schools going out of their way to make healthy pizza. It's all about earning money - cheap unhealthy pizza will earn more money than real good quality and healthier pizza.
      It is such a shame!

      Delete