Friday, February 25, 2011

Supportive of Healthy Heating?

So it's reading week right now for me.  I decided to visit my parents for a few days.  My parents and I don't always see eye to eye on things and we really don't have the same interests.  But it was my dad's birthday and I did have a few days off (and they said they actually wanted to see me) so I figured, why not!

Last night, I got there in time for supper.  We had homemade macaroni and cheese for supper which is definitely not part of my healthy eating.  But it's just one supper, I am only there for a few suppers anyway.  Not a big deal.  I had a small portion of it.  Then for dessert, we had some pie for my dad's birthday.  I asked for half a piece so I didn't have a lot of it.  But my sister made it, so of course I will have some of it.  Then my mom got my dad eclair donuts.  Extremely unhealthy, on so many levels!  So of course I didn't have any.  Then they wanted to make me a milkshake.  I declined and said that perhaps I would have one the next day.  Then they were watching TV at night and they had some chips out.  I declined those as well.

I'm not sure that visiting my parents house is very good for my weight or health.  I don't mind having snacks from time to time.  I do love sweets.  But that much?  In one evening?  It was a good thing I hadn't eaten anything unhealthy earlier that day (I had just had some fruits and an egg).

Even better - tonight they want to have pizza!  The pizza they want though is a really delicious kind of pizza.  So I'm planning to allow myself for some pizza for supper.  I almost guarantee that they will come home with some pop (soda) as well ... which I will definitely not be having (unless it's diet, then I may have a glass).  I think I'll make up a healthy Caesar salad to go with the pizza though.

I am just realizing that it is so much easier to be healthy on my own!  I can only eat what I buy.  And I just avoid the unhealthy foods.  The only unhealthy foods I really have is homemade cookies and stuff.  I really love homemade cookies and other sweets like that.  So I allow myself to have those at home.

I'm just kind of venting now - how annoying it is to come home to the unhealthiness.  I do intend to make supper tomorrow night for the family.  It will be healthy! It will not be greasy pizza or cheesy macaroni and cheese or anything like that.  I think I'll go for a walk today though ...

3 comments:

  1. Ironically, that's the opposite of so many college students - they live on junk food while away at school (I remember my 2AM trips to 7-11 to get cookie dough & frosting), and have healthy balanced meals (though I didn't have that part lol) ... how great that you've taken it on your own to make such better choices... Perhaps next time you go home, you can let your parents know in advance what basic things (fruits/veggies, etc) would be helpful for you to have at home? It's possible that they're providing all of your (former?) favorites during the little time you're around, but if they realize that you want something different, they'd provide that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post here. My personal life has been so manic lately, I lost loads of weight when I was ill then had to put it back on quick for a modelling shoot, so I had to go with the junk way for a while, though glad to say I am now sticking to a healthy balanced diet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're kind of right Kerry - they did bring home the pizza because they knew it was my favourite (okay, it still is my favourite pizza, I just don't eat it much! hah!). But I have been on track with my healthy diet at home, I just don't like how they seem to make me switch to unhealthy when visiting. Glad you got back to the healthy balanced diet Dempsey - my weight fluctuates too much when I'm sick too :( sometimes I will go a couple days with eating just a fruit or two a day ... that is not good for you :P

    ReplyDelete