Monday, August 29, 2011

It's So Hard To Be Nice

It can be "hard" to be nice.  Like, when you're not sure if you should give someone a hand.  If you're in the city and you see someone carrying some heavy bags or something ... you might want to help but you're worried about it not being acceptable or something.

But why not offer?  What's the worst that could happen?  The person you're trying to help could say no.  In that case, just move along.  You tried.

Today, I was at a fruit market.  It isn't very accessible and there was a lady in a wheelchair looking at the strawberries.  She couldn't reach them all.  All the ones she could reach had a bit of mold in them.  So I went around on the other side (which was hard for her to get to) and found her a good basket of strawberries.  It's so little to do, but so easy, and it made me feel good.

At first I was like, should I offer to help her?  I was worried that she might get upset with me or something.  Or that she'd be like "I can't do it myself!" (I've had that happen to me before.)  But finally I was just like, of course I'll help.  If she gets upset, oh well, I was trying to be nice and helpful.  And who knows, maybe next time she won't yell because she'll realize I was trying to help.  I didn't want to be embarrassed or anything but I offered.  And she said thank you to me a couple times, which made me feel good.

It's just a little thing ... but you should do those little things!  Why not?  It takes little effort on your part and could really help someone!

I think it can be hard to offer to help someone sometimes but just do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment