Monday, August 15, 2011

Small Town Versus Big City

For 17 years, I lived in a small town.  By small, I mean really small.  Population of 1,000.  Yeah, it was the kind of town where you knew everyone.  The place where you'd go for a walk for exercise and ten people would offer you a ride home.  The place where it was hard to date someone you weren't related to.  That kind of place.

When I was 17, I left for college, lived in what I thought was a big city for three years.  And a few months ago, at age 20, I moved to the real "big city" aka Toronto!

The differences between small towns and big cities are very, very amusing.

One thing I've really noticed is politeness.  In a small town, you say hi to everyone, you wave to everyone, that's just how it is.  In a big city ... no one even smiles at you!  It's like everyone is hiding from you or avoiding from you.

Stop signs and pedestrian crossings are another thing.  Everyone is sooo aggressive here.  In a small town, people will be like "no you go" and let the other person go.  Especially if someone has been waiting for a while (although I guess you don't wait that long in a village).  But here, it's first come first serve!  You have to be aggressive.  I will now walk out in front of a car who is rolling, trying to start up.  But the thing is, all the other pedestrians will do the same thing.  So if I stop, I just look silly!  At first when I moved here, I was like - oh no, let the car go!  The car is anxious to go of course but it doesn't want to hit you!

The one thing that really bothers me about the city is all the beggars.  Especially the beggars who are smoking!  I will NEVER give a beggar money if he or she is smoking!  Or drinking!  When I was at college, there were a couple beggars.  None in my hometown!  But here - everywhere I go!  I do feel sorry for them.  But the fact is, I'm not making enough to give it away.  I come first.  I have to be able to pay my rent and buy groceries.  Which I can barely do.  So no, the beggars are not getting my money.  Some of them are rude too.  Like being mean to me because I'm not giving money.  It's frustrating!  Some are nice though.  There was a nice guy today - he said "have a good day" to everyone.

There are also tons of charities.  Doctors Without Borders is my least favourite.  They have stopped me so many times!  I tell them that I'm unemployed and I can't even pay rent.  Yet they still expect me to donate money to them.  No, I can't do that!  I can't just take money that I don't have!  I will never EVER donate to Doctors Without Borders.  Simply because of how persistent and annoying they are.  When I have a real job and can afford to donate to a charity, I will donate to one that a) appreciates my efforts, b) is thankful for what it gets, and c) did not harass me.

I also really enjoy being able to go grocery shopping whenever I went!  I love 24 hour grocery stores within walking distance from my house.

And transit.  So amazing here!  Going out after 10:00 p.m. was difficult in my college town because there wasn't a bus back!  And there was (of course) nothing within walking distance.  During the day, I could get anywhere.  But not at night.  Here ... I have a 24 hour streetcar outside my door.  The new place I'm living - there is a 24 hour bus that is only a 5 minute walk away (another bus just outside my door but it doesn't run all the time).  In my hometown?  You'd have to drive an hour before transit existed!  If you didn't have a vehicle, or someone who would drive you, you were out of luck!

I also feel like I fit in.  I did not feel like I fit in in my hometown.  I don't know why.  It just wasn't "me".  I didn't enjoy being there.  Perhaps because there was nothing to do.  But it sucked!  But here - always something to do!  Even walking down the street is enjoyable.

A lot of people are like "how can you enjoy Toronto?"  My question - how can you NOT enjoy Toronto?  We have parks here too, if you want to go to the park.  It's not like it's all city.  There are tons of small parks throughout downtown actually and some bigger parts outside.

All in all, I love the big city.  Sometimes it's fun to go visit my parents in my hometown.  But I can't handle it for more than a couple days!  I love the city and can tell that I am definitely the city type of girl!

2 comments:

  1. I get it! I came from a small town and I don't think I'll ever leave LA.

    I'm a city girl too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I love how there is actually a difference. I've only been here a few months but I already consider it home!! <3

    ReplyDelete