Monday, November 22, 2010

Lazy Kids

Are kids really lazy nowadays?? I don't think all kids are. How ageist to say such a thing.

I heard these three older people (two men and one woman) on the bus complaining about how lazy young people are. I was sitting near them on my way to a friends to pack boxes for Operation Christmas Child after a long day of work and studying. Really ... I was being lazy?? Who do they think they are talkng about? I'm sure they were referring to me as they kept looking at me and I do look fairly young for my age.

What a stereotype. I'm sure I'll have more to say about this when something else comes up. We aren't all lazy, just like all old people aren't smart. Is that a stereotypical thing to say?

I just really hate it when people make stereotypes. People in general. I know that I get stereotyped sometimes. But it drives me crazy. I don't consider myself lazy at all. I'm a full time college student who has a ridiculous amount of homework (and who still manages to be the top student). I'm working two part time jobs at my college and another job outside of that. I don't volunteer a lot but I give money when I can. I try to be a good person and all that. I hate being judged though.

Younger people get judged even more. Especially high school students. I'm sure that, if someone looks at my younger sister, they would stereotype her as a normal high school girl who goes out and parties and drinks all the time. First off, this is untrue. She prides herself in doing well in school. She has two jobs and she volunteers at a senior citizen home. She also plays competitive sports and other team sports. She does enjoy hanging out with her friends in her free time though. And besides, is it bad to go out and party on the weekends if you have the time and can afford it? I would say not. But that is a different topic, really.

The point is ... not all young people are lazy. Sure, there are some. But those people will likely grow up and still be lazy. It's not a trait of young people. It's a trait of certain people in general.

Think before you stereotype!

2 comments:

  1. I AGREE! Older adults will sometimes look around and think "Gee, that person must be really lazy because they are reading a book," when in truth they are not! This has happened to me before and is offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, things like that can be offensive. People just judge - perhaps it is automatic for some people. I feel that many people who judge are just insecure as they are constantly putting others down. :(

    ReplyDelete