Monday, November 8, 2010

Trying To Volunteer

I have been noticing lately how hard it is to get a volunteer position. I have contacted a number of organizations in my area in the past few months to see what positions are open. I have not heard back from any of them, even to say that they are not accepting volunteers at the present time.

I feel like organizations who have volunteers should be kind and respectful and friendly to those who want to help. I really just wanted to help out somewhere but no one contacted me. It is not like I am under qualified. In fact, I am often over qualified. But organizations being insensitive just makes me want to never volunteer for them or donate my money to them. What happens when they are looking for volunteers next year? I certainly won't volunteer. They couldn't bother with me before so they don't deserve me now.

I'm not going to list names or anything but there have been about ten organizations that I have contacted. Perhaps my message got lost once or something. That may be an excuse for one or two, but not all ten. Either way, I personally am not too pleased with those organizations although I'm not going to name them because they are still good organizations, no matter how poor their customer service is.

It just seems to me that not for profit organizations aren't very friendly to others. They think they are doing a good deed by helping but they aren't helping others help. I feel like I could make a difference if they would let me.

I want to be a good person. I want to make a difference. I want to help people who are less fortunate than me. But no one wants me to. Is that how this world works? They don't even talk to me to find out if I am qualified. They don't get checks on me to see if I have a bad background or something. There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to help someone. But I can't.

It also bothers me when people say that others should be volunteering. Maybe they would, if the organizations would let them. Willing volunteers are not going to bother the organization relentlessly (for the most part) because if the organization doesn't want us, that's the organization's loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment