Monday, January 10, 2011

“I’m 40, I Know Everything”

Do you find it insanely annoying when your parents (or any older adults) think that you know absolutely nothing? And that they know everything because they have more experience ... or something?

Everyone has their specialties. But no one knows everything. I will never say I’m the smartest person in the world. I’m not. I am a smart person, sure, but not the smartest. I think things through and I make decisions based on fact. If I don’t know much about a topic, I’ll ask someone who knows more than me. Or I will do some research. I won’t pretend to know it all.

Being smart is knowing when you don’t know everything.

My mom went to purchase a new computer last month. That’s great, except she knows nothing about computers except how to turn one on. So she essentially got a random computer at the store. So she comes home with her new laptop. She was able to turn on the computer, but that was about it. Now she’s having trouble connecting to the printer, connecting to wireless, using the operating system, etc. Well, she could have admitted that she knew nothing about computers. I would have happily helped her find a computer that would suit her needs. And, instead of spending as much money on a computer, I could have found a simple computer without the extra add ons. I probably could have found one for half the price that was easier to use.

Just because she's older does not mean she knows everything. And it certainly doesn’t mean she knows more than me, just because I’m only 20.

Another thing that irritates me is that she claims I think I know everything. I am constantly getting this from her. “You think you know everything because you’re 20.” Of course, I have learned more as I’ve grown up. And it makes me more confident in what I do know. But I am tired of people looking down on me because of this. I’m not a child. I’m almost a college graduate. I live on my own. I don’t report back to people and I’m doing just fine on my own. They may be knowledgeable but they don’t know everything.

Teachers or professors will sometimes do similar things. Sometimes a teacher will tell you a lie. Not necessarily on purpose. They think because he or she is older, he or she knows more than me.

No one knows everything. It is perfectly fine to say "This isn’t my area of expertise" or something along those lines.

Don’t look down on anyone, older or younger. You may not know what they know. They could be smarter than you seem. Have experience in something else that you never expected. People who have a PhD are not the only smart people in the world. Experience is useful as well as education.

It’s rude to just look down on someone. Try listening to someone for once. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I'm around your age (21) and I get this attitude all the time, especially from my father. I love him to death, but he doesn't know everything - he likes to act like he does, and it's really annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your post this time,it's the truth,although I have no such problems with my parents,not that I'm saying I'm trying to show my parents are awesome,but they are willing to learn from me when it comes to all these hi-tech stuff and that actually makes me thing that I've my part for them too...but I know a few other elders who refused to listen to young people like us just because they have more experiences...>.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    Thanks for your comment =) Congrats on getting such a great guy as your boyfriend. I'm excited because I have a date saturday, with this really amazing guy =) I've never had to make an excuse for him (he's a good friend), unlike with T. And thanks for being such a loyal reader, I really enjoy your comments/feedback.
    I know this has nothing to do with your post but yeah....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly isn't true for everyone. But for some (like Karolynn and I), our parents just don't understand that we are plenty intelligent ourselves :). That's really great that your parents are willing to learn from you. There are things that, as young adults, we can pick up on faster (like a lot of things with technology). Or even new advancements. But sometimes people who are older just don't want to learn anything else new.

    And no problem Karolynn ... I enjoy your blog!! :D And I hope to hear about this date ;)

    ReplyDelete